fredag 22. april 2022

Waves in the bath

My last day in Sousse, and I would head up to my last stop of the trip. Hammamet. Hammamet literally means "bath", and gives away its lure to the world. It was the first tourist spot in Tunisia. And it still is one of the most important. According to Wikipedia, the population grows from just under 100 000 to over 400 000 during the tourist season.

I got up early. Couldn't sleep longer. I guess my body and mind is ready to go back to the grind. This morning, I was a bit weary about one of the glass elevators. I love these elevators, but yesterday, one of them felt a bit icky. After it closed the doors, it moved about 10 cm, then topped abruptly, and shook. Then a few seconds later, it moved normally. I had noticed that its floor was about 10 cm above the threshold. So I guess that was the reason. After breakfast, I spent some time in my room just watching a movie. I wouldn't be able to check in to my hotel in Hammamet until 2 in the afternoon anyways. I opted to walk to the louage station this time too. The weather was fine. Not too hot, not too cold. After the movie had finished, I took one final look at the ocean before heading out of my room. When I came to the elevator, One lady stood there. "No working", she said and pointed to the elevator that had been icky yesterday. Its floor was now 25 cm above the normal level. And since the system registered that it was there, it refused to get the other one up. I tried pressing the buttons in the elevator. Hoping it would leave. But nothing happened. It wa stuck. In the end, I took the fire escape down. 

At the reception, I tried to explain that the elevator was stuck on the 5th floor. The receptionist didn't understand. He called upon the manager. He came, and I told him "the elevator is stuck on the fifth floor". He looked puzzled. "What do you mean? You have room on fifth floor! Here is the key! What is the problem?" I pointed to the elevator shaft. "Elevator! Stuck! Fifth floor!" His eyes flared. "AH!" and he started arguing with the guys in the reception. Lots of handwaving and arguing. I just said "bye!" and left the circus. This clown was going.

It was a nice walk. An since I got a bit warm after a while, my nose did of course dive into one of the freezers on the sidewalk. The ones with icecream in them... I found and interesting one. "Cheese cake!". Yummy. Two of my favorites in one. Ice cream and chees cake! I let my teeth sink in. It did indeed taste like cheese cake! Smiling like a baboon with a banana, I walked on, with my cheescake on a steek.

A surprisingly short time later, I arrived at the louage station. I hopped into the public toilet. After finishing my business, i arrived at the only sink, planning to wash my hands. A guy was already there. Washing his hands, his face, and then proceeded with washing his feet. In the sink. I pulled out my hand sanitizer. Maybe another time...

I found that the ginormous louage station was well organized. And there were lines with signs above them telling where they were going. Unfortunately, I found none for Hammamet. Or any place beyond Hammamet. After searching for a while, I decided to try the ticket booth for Tunis. I was lucky. The guy behind the opening nodded. 7.5 dinars. 

Tickerteer : "But you not go to Hammamet. You go to <insert something imcomprehensible here>!"

Me : "Say what"

Ticketeer : (smiling) "<Insert something incomprehensible starting with 'b'>"

Me : "Repeating something that sounded like "<Insert something incomprehensible starting with 'b'>"

Ticketeer : Smiling and nodding. "There is your car!" he pointed to the first in line

It took me about 1.3 seconds to completely forget what he said. But I knew that there would be a station close to Hammamet. Our louge left shortly after. The driver zoomed out on the highway. The first I have seen here with a toll booth... And drove like he had stolen the car. I kept an eye on the map as we zoomed north. After half an hour, he stopped at a crossroad not far west from the city. He pointed east. "Hammamet! Taxi!". Ok. I and a few others got out and I opted for a taxi. 8 more kilometers with a backpack was a bit more than I wanted. But unlike the taxidrivers in Tunis, this one did nothing to scam me. He used the meter without any extras. And it was a pleasant experience. I tipped him a few dinars. I don't mind the price. Its the ripoffs and outright scams I hate.

The hotel was nice. And it seems to me like they are desperate for customers. I guess two years of pandemic shutdown has taken its toll. A lady sat down with me and told me everything they had to offer, and if I needed anything or had any questions, just ask. She gave me two bracelets. One would show that I was a resident, and the other that I should have breakfast. I felt like an antendee to a rock festival. 


I was given a room on the upper floor

Not sure how to interpret this message in the elevator...

And the ocean view! Yes! This is the way to end my trip here in Tunisia. I sat out on the balcony for a long time, just watching and listening to the waves crashing on the beach. I love that sound. It is so soothing. Probably because I grew up by the sea. I was used to hearing that sound when I was young. Familiarity is soothing, I guess. 

I had a long walk too. Most was closed in town, save for the usual hole-in-the-wall shops selling siggys, water and snacks. And they even had a local "hey I work at your hotel!". He smiled at me, and I smiled back. This probably triggered him into his routine. "Hey, I work at your hotel! I made you omelette this morning, remember?" "Really? At which hotel?" He said the name of another hotel in the group I stay at. He picked the wrong one. "I don't stay there!" I said. He promptly turned and split.

This evening, I wanted to find some local chow. But everywhere I went, all restaurants were closed. Only coffe-shops packed with chainsmoking coffe-drinkers were open. In the end, the only restaurant I found, was a pizza-place run by an italian guy. So at least the pizza was authentic. It was delicious. Even though I would have preferred something local. 

Full of food I headed back to the hotel. Stopped by a shop to buy some water for the evening. Back at the hotel, I went out to the balcony, and looked up at the stars. Leo hanging straight up. I snapped a picture with my phone. Later this year, I am heading down south to Namibia for some real star-gazing. Looking forward to that. 

 

After some time on the balcony enjoying the sound of the waves. I was ready to hit the sack. It had been a good day. Tomorrow, I will go to Tunis. My flight home leaves in the night. It has been a great trip, but it is ok to go home now. I have seen what I wanted. I have been where I wanted. Save for Thala. And even though I have just touched the surface, I feel I have at least glimpsed some of what this country has to offer. 

Ragnar

Ready for my next adventure


 

Ingen kommentarer: