mandag 18. april 2022

Moving on

Today was a lazy day. I only had planned to travel to Kairouan. A small city east of Sbeitla with a magnificent medina. So i got up late. Had a late breakfast. And counting from the number of tables set, I was the ony guest at the hotel this morning. It is low season obviously. 

It was a beautiful day. Sun shining from a blue sky. So after dinner, I decided I would tan a little. I somtimes do as long as I last before getting bored. Which usually is about 5 minutes. I went back to my room and sent some messages to friends and family before checking out of the hotel. 

Since the weather was nice, I opted to walk down to the louage station. It was perfect temperature. The sun shining with the breeze cooling made it just right for me. I enjoy walking. Even with heavy backpack. And I got to see the town one last time before leaving. People talking, shopping and arguing. Kids playing. Cats sleeping. 

Right beside the station, I saw the following street art on a building. Snapped a photo. 


 

I didn't find anyone going to Kairouan, but one driver was going to Sousse and he would drop me off at Kairouan if I paid for the ticket to Sousse. Given the price was just $4, I accepted. After dropping off my backback in the back of the minibus, it was just the waiting game before we would go. I snapped a photo of the market by the station. These markets is THE place to get anything from toenail clippers to evening gowns.


 

After about half an hours wait, the final two passengers arrived, and we were off. An eventless 1.5 hours later, the driver stopped, and a woman got off. He turned and pointed at me. "Kairouan!" he said. I got off and he handed me my backpack. "Taxi sir?" he asked. I shook my head. I had checked the map earlier, and found the louage station in Kairouan was only 1.4 km walk from my hotel. And I assumed he had dropped me off near the station. After the louage had left, I check the map on my phone and found that I was nowhere near the station. In fact, I was 5.7 km away from my hotel. 

After some initial confusion about direction, I was finally heading in the right direction. It ended up being a nice walk. Through very diverse areas. From almost empty areas, to bustling shopping streets to poorer areas to the area where my hotel was. Just a short walk from the medina. It seems to be located in an "upper class" area. I dunno. Just seemed that way. Just a few blocks away from a large hospital.

A super polite, english-speaking receptionist greeted me. He saw my sweaty forehead. "Ah! Weather hot for you! For us, no!" he said and smiled. I smiled back. I guess he assumed I took a taxi. My mouth was dry, and longed for some water.  After dropping my bags off in the room, I emptied the bottle of water I brought. And afterwards I took a quick stroll down to check out the medina. Looking forward to exploring it in more detail tomorrow. But today, I have just been lazying it out at the hotel.

Ragnar

Long walker

Ingen kommentarer: