torsdag 21. april 2022

A walk on the beach

 I was originally planning to take a taxi to Monastir today to see the socalled ribat. But decided to just have a walk on the beach instead. And I am glad I did. As will be clear later. I could see Monastir across the bay from my hotel.

At the end of the beach, there was a small pier, where an old man had put up his fishing rods. The wind was strong and thus the beaches were mostly empty.


It was quite windy today

Looks like some hotels didn't survive the pandemic

It was a long walk, and I was sweaty and ready for some icecream. So I found a small hole-in-the-wall. Delicious! After being refreshed, I walked through the streets packed with tourists and souvenir-sellers. I decided to buy a souvenir. 

I have stopped buying stuff everywhere. I have two large boxes of souvenirs stored away. I have no place to put them or display they. So they are just laying there. So in the past few years, I have resortet to buy fridge magnets. A cheesy souvenir I know. But easier to place. Although the fridge is also getting full...

I walked out of the shop, happy with my purchase. And walked passed several "I work at your hotel" guys. And other stuff. But then something intersting cought my eye. I realized it looked like the ribat in Monastir. And indeed it was. I paid for a ticket and walked around for a while. Especially delightful was the fact that I could climb up the stairs to the top of the tower. The stairs were as narrow and steep as the ones on the statue of liberty. And at some points, it was pitch dark, so I needed to feel my way up the steps. The view from up there was magnificent. I could almost imagine how it would be to stand up there and watching attackers coming. 

After coming back to the hotel, I found out that the ribat here in Sousse may not be the biggest, but it was actually the oldest. So no point in going to Monastir to see such a structure. Here are some images I took of it.

My guide met me at the entrance





Worn down by a lot of steps




The narrow stairs up the tower

Finally at the top

Spectacular view








 

Tonight I decided also to get some street food. There are plenty of burger-/pizza- and pasta-places. But I was more in for some kebabs or something similar. I found a back street a bit away from the typical touristy places. A small hole in the wall shop. The owner lit up when I came into his shop. He let me taste the meat and the fries. "Good eh?". It was indeed. I sat down on one of the tables and munched away on the lovely chawarma. 


Yesterday, there was a lot of noise from downstairs in the hotel. I thought it was drunk guests. But when I came back to the hotel, I realized it was actually a childrens club. Singing and dancing... Oh well. Last night at the hotel. I stepped outside on the baclony and enjoyed the cool evening. Tomorrow, I will head out the last stop on my journey; Hammamet. One night there before heading home.

Ragnar

Beachwalker

Ingen kommentarer: