søndag 24. april 2022

On the right track

 Last day in Tunisia. I woke early, and went down to the dining hall for breakfast. It was one of the best so far. With several stations bulging with food. And to my delight : Crepes. They were my favorite when I was a kid. Just plain with sugar. I had more than my fair share. Enjoyed the breakfast outside in front of the pool. The morning breeze was nice. I sat there for a while just enjoying my self. I wasn't planning to leave until 3, so I had plenty of time.
I had already packed my bags, so I was ready. Before checking out, I went to a local store and bought some snacks for lunch. The restaurants were closed. So that had to do. I spent the hours waiting in the lobby. Watching the guests and employees go about their business. And chatting with friends and family.
I had found yesterday that there was a train station just outside of Hammamet. It was the very station I was unable to pronouce the day before at the loage station in Sousse. Gare de Bir Bouregba. I gte a taxi, and he drove me there through some thick traffic. "Souk!" he said as we passed the souk. I nodded and smiled. Finally, we arrived at the station. I had read about the classes. 1, 2 and Comfort. I wanted the latter, since it had aircon.
I walked over to the ticket counter. "Tunis! Confort!" I said. "4 dinar" he said. I thought it sounded cheap, but though nothing more of it. He gave me my ticket, and I looked at it. To check that it was indeed for Tunis. 4 dinar was cheap! But then I checked again. Ah! 2'nd class. Oh well. I am a working class boy, so... And I thought it would be interesting to see what 2'nd class was like in Tunisia. I checked the schedule, and the train should arrive at 17.06. It arrived at 16.01. But of course. I entered 2'nd class. Ok. THIS was second class. Seats collapsing, and dirty as a cowboy's clothes after crossing a desert in a storm. I sat down before I realized it was dust, and not just paled colour. Everybody had to undust their seats. And clothes. And the temperature? Just ripe for baking bread, I believe. 



 

I decided to go back to the entrance, as it often can be cooler. And it was indeed. They were obviously sporting an open door policy here. So who needs aircon? I got fresh air and the best view in the train. I stood there most of the trip. Watching nature and small towns zoom past the door. 



After about an hour, we arrived at the Tunis main station.


After such great experiences with taxies in Hammamet, I decided I wanted to try again the taxi drivers in Tunis. I walked over to a taxi. "Airport!" I said. He nodded. I put my bag in the trunk. "Cince dinars, ok?" "what?" He showed me 15 ($5) with his fingers. "For bag!" He smiled. Oh crap! Don't they ever give up? I shook my head and sighed. Deeply. I pulled my backpack out of his trunk. He started negotiating the price. I was done negotiating. I decided to walk to the Tunis Marina to take the bus. I checked the map. Tunis marina was just a short walk. When I arrived, I started looking for the bus station. I seem to remember that it was supposed to be around the Marina. I checked the map, and I didnt find it. I stood there for a minute. Contemplating my options. Then I checked the map. 7 km to the airport. Oh, well. Not the first time. So I started walking.
The temperature was nice. And with my average walking speed, I found I would be at the airport just around sundown. Perfect. I found a lesser used road to walk beside. Closer to the water than the new highway. And after a while, I noticed a lot of young people with cars and motorcycles burning rubber. And particularly on a longer straight stretch of the road. Cars were lined up on each side. And young guys on motorcycles where burning back and forth. Riding on their back wheels, or drifting, or doing tricks. I got the "fast and furious" vibe from the whole scene. Guys with beamers drifting around the roundabouts. A lot of young guys and girls watching and cheering. I shot a couple of short videos of guys riding on their back wheels.
As I was closing in on the airport, my shoulders were starting to ache. No wonder. I had walked from the train station to the airport. 9 km.
It was a relief to drop my bags off by the table of a small diner. I needed some chow and some water. It was good to sit down. And the water worked its wonder. Now I only had to wait for a few hours till the checkin-counter opened. My plane leaves at 2.15 am. It will be a long night.
In retrospect, this has been a great trip. Not only because it was my first in a couple of years, but also because Tunisia was a great destination. With diverse places, wonderful food, friendly people (save for taxidrivers in Tunis...) and lots to see and experience. Both for the "off-the-beaten-track"-guy like me, and for those who prefer an all-inclusive hotel with a pool and the pizza place nearby. Tunisia has had its share of problems. And some still exists. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a visit. I haven't checked if there are package tours to places like Sousse and Hammamet, but I wouldn't be surprised.
This is me, logging off for the last time in Tunisia. At the table of the diner. Still waiting for the checkin for my flight to open. Till next time!

Ragnar
Going home

Ingen kommentarer: