fredag 15. april 2022

Star Wars - The second take

The last entry was just about that one prop. But it was such an important one, I decided to dedicate one entry to just that.

When I asked the receptionist about the Lars homestead, she was puzzled. "You want to go to big Star Wars place no?" "Yes, but also this place!" "Ok, you ask driver tomorrow!"

The driver was also puzzled. "You want to go to this small place? Its small! The other one is big!". That was true. But to me, "the small place" was the big one. In the end, I managed to convince him to drive me there. And it was a truly big thing for me. Even thought the "house" was falling apart and flooded with clay, it was THE site. And it took me back to my youth. Watching "A New Hope". 

My driver snapped this photo of me
 

But after I had dreamed for a while and snapped a few photos, we headed to the "big place". The place being the props for Mos Espa in "Phantom Menace". On the road there, I wondered why the receptionist had said that an ordinary taxi wouldn't be able to go to Mos Espa. The roads were fine. I thought. Until we got a bit further from Naftah. Then I realized that the sand was constantly taking over the road. In some places we had to drive across small dunes that had formed over the road. Another place, an excavator was digging out the road from underneath a sanddune. So no ordinary taxi could have driven here. Only a 4WD. 

After some hair-rising driving, we arrived at the site. A collection of "houses" appeared in the sandy mist ahead. There was no doubt. This was Star Wars. The wind was strong, and you could feel the fine dust grinding between your teeth. When leaving the car, I was immediately "attacked" by a dromedar-herder and a souvenir seller. I waved them off. I was here for the props. Nothing more, nothing less. Not to ride on a dromedar. 

I shot a number of photos. And did some contemplating on where I was. I had dreamed of coming to these places for a long time. And now I was here. Walking the "streets" I had seen in the movie. Even though all the houses were just empty shells. It was truly special. I think you have to be into the Star Wars universe to fully appreciate this. 

Here are some of the photos I took.














Tomorrow, I will be leaving Tozeur. And heading into the mountains. On a bus this time. I was hoping for a train, but the train doesn't go from Tozeur anymore. Sadly. But I hope the busride will not be too long, and I will arrive in Subaytilah before the evening. And as always, I'm not quite sure how to get there. But I am going to Gafsa first. Then we'll see where and how to get from there. Just my kind of challenge. I'm loving it. Truly.

Ragnar

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway

Ingen kommentarer: