fredag 15. april 2022

Star Wars: A New Beginning

I saw my first sci fi series when I was 7. It was the Norwegian "Blindpassasjer" or "Stowaway" in English. For such a low budget series, it was surprisingly well made. I later learned that they had help doing the special effects from some guys working on the Star Wars movies. At the time, I knew nothing of the latter. I was too young to be going to such a movie anyway. And the local theatre never showed the big movies. But I did find the magazine below in a shop and bought it. It was an amazing new world for me.


 

I was in my early teens before we got our first VHS-player. And I remember when I found the Star Wars trilogy in the local rental shop. I begged my parents to rent them. They did. And as soon as the big star destroyer moved across the screen, I was hooked. And as probably a lot of young boys, Luke Skywalker was my hero. The young boy/man who was stuck on a desert planet with his uncle and aunt. Although he wanted to go out and see action. Explore and experience. 

There is one epic scene in the movie that stuck with me. After his short argument with his uncle over having to stay another season in the sandblasted desolation, Luke runs out of the house and stands on a small sandbank and watches two suns set. Set to the amazing music by John Williams. At that moment, I felt like Luke. When I was a kid, I sometimes used to sit and watch the sun set out in the ocean in the west in the summer. When school was out. Dreaming of leaving my small town. Venturing beyond the setting sun. Not only to other lands and new horizons, but even to the stars. If possible. 

I have now ventured past the horizon. Followed the sun around the world. And seen new horizons all over the world. I still haven't seen the sun set from space, but maybe some day in the future, who knows? I am still dreaming for that moment.

But today, almost 46 years after the scene was shot, and almost 40 years after I watched it, I got to see the set where that scene was shot. On a dry lake near Naftah in southern Tunisia. It was a special moment to drive onto the lake and see the dome shape appear. It was in dire need of repairs, but it was unmistankenly the prop. The rains and the sometimes flooding of the lake had taken its toll. Like everything in this world, it too will be gone someday. 

Star Wars has been an undeniable part of my life. The movies, the story, and the adventure. And having been at the site where the story began for me, was truly a great experience. And something I will treasure. All my life.



Ragnar

Jedi traveller

Ingen kommentarer: