lørdag 25. juli 2009

On my way


I had planned NOT to take with me an umbrella. Especially since I didn't want to carry the extra weight. But when the morning arose for the day of travelling, raindrops were drumming gently on my bedroom window. After some consideration, I decided that it would be better to carry my umbrella, which is more like a parasol, than being soaked in the cold rain. A cold would mean quarantine in China. I really did not want that. An umbrella proved to be one of the things you are allowed to carry on board in addition to your onboard luggage. 

I had a flight at 9 from Gardermoen, flying Aeroflot. Last time I flew this company, their planes smelt like old sweaty socks or vomit, depending upon the section. And all except the purser gave me the feeling that I was personally responsible for them not getting a vacation for the last ten years. And the food had taste and enough grease to give me instant chest pain. So I was a bit sceptical. But at the same time, I thought about the means of transportation I have tried through the years in my travels, and I saw that even Aeroflot was heaven in comparison. The Aeroflot of today was a totally different story altogether. The planes were clean and not smelly. The attendants were polite and had taken a course in smiling. And the food? Very good. Well. Airplane food good... I often smile when I see the commecials for the airliners, where beautiful hostesses care for you every need and serve you a meal that looks like it is served in a five star restaurant. And your seat can be reclined to flat position. And I think about this as I look down on the tray in front of me. With its alu-foil wrapped warm meal I try to eat without banging my head against the seat in front of me in zoo class.

We lifted from Moscow airport an hour late. After dancing through the clouds, we were presented by a slowly setting red sun. It reminded me of where we were going. Once again to China. Or at least. Transit through China. I was a bit sceptical. I was there for five weeks last year, and concluded that I probably wouldn't come back. But one of the longest solar eclipses and the low fare price lured me once again to the red country.

On a side note: Their treatment of the minorities has made it clear how the opinions of the west works. Its not what you do that counts. Its who you are. The minister of finance in Norway proposed that people should boycott Israeli products as a protest to their politics. The same governtment sent a delegation of business-people with the prime minister in front, to China. What is the difference? Double standards isn't twice as good as standards. 

I sometimes talk about this to people, and they might agree after a while. But to most people I guess the palestinian struggle is the only thing many people are capable of getting their heads around at any time. Two or more conflicts simply is too problematic for most. And it is also a black and white conflict to most. Unfortunately. When I say I have been to Israel, I see the disgust in many people's eyes. When I say I have been to China, people light up and ask "How was the Great Wall?". I think I am speaking to it...

Side note end.

My blog is sensored in "democratic" China, so I had to wait till Vietnam to publish it.

Ragnar

Licensed to boldly go where many have gone before.

Ingen kommentarer: