fredag 31. juli 2009

The area enclosed by the red river

Or Ha Noi, as most people call it. I often find it interesting how much can be said with a few words in some languages.
It wasn't until I got to Ha Noi that I understood the old joke that "It is so hot that you would be going to hell to cool down". I am simply unable to be outside between 14 and 20 in the day. I tried once, but almost fainted. Both from dehydration and overheating. So I escape to the cosiness of my aicon'ed room during the warmer periods. Reading and writing this blog as my primary occupation.

I already described Ha Noi in my previous post. At least, the part where I am staying. In the old town. It is located around a small lake. The area is filled with narrow streets, loads and loads of small shops, and restaurants. Most of these cater to westerners. So if you want to get some real vietnamese food, you need to do a bit of walking and searching. Dan that I met on the bus, said the best ones were to be found around the lake. But I haven't so far been able to locate them. Maybe they are hidden from me, or I have been searching the wrong places. But of course, some of the vietnamese food is really french food, since France was the colonizing state for a few years. So baguettes and croissants are found many places.
As people back home know, I like my kebabs, and when I found a place that sold döner kebabs, I just couldn't resist. 15 000 dongs (about 80 cents) for one. It was tasty, and filling. I found myself often at this sidewalk eatery. Sitting there, munching away and just watching the street life. Just my cup of tea. For new readers, this is the way I normally travel. I like to study life where I am. Just to watch people go about their daily business. Street vendors, coffee drinkers, drivers and on-lookers.


It was quite amazing watching the traffic. It seemed that either fortune or ability was the reason I have so far never seen any accidents.
It may also very well be my luck that I haven't seen one. Walking the streets, I saw a big poster outside what appeared to be a hospital. I had photos of injuries sustained by people involved in accidents. Let me put it this way : These were NOT fakes. They were VERY graphically describing what could happen. They were mostly hand and leg injuries. But a couple of the images showed obviously fatal head injuries. One showed an open cracked skull with parts of the brainmass squeezed out, and the other showed a head where half the skull was gone, including the contents. One would think that such images would have an effect on people, but obviously not. They still drive like they have robbed a bank.

Moto sa?

On every corner of the city, I find guys sitting on a motor bike. And when they see me, they all go "Sa! Motobike". I wave them all off. I like walking. But some of them continue. "Something to smoke?" When I decline, some of them continue in a lower voice with either "massage?" or "bom-bom girl for you?". It is expected. Especially of a single, middle aged guy to want at least one of these things. I want neither. I sometimes get angry at them for even asking, but I know that I represent a marked for these things. So they are only asking what is expected of them to ask. Cause a lot of guys are seeking for these exact things.
I have met a lot of people, especially young people, who are searching everywhere for "things to smoke". It may be cool for the young to go home and brag about how much "shit" they have smoked. But the fact is that it is ruining a lot of local communities. And a lot of local people become addicted as well. Destrying homes and families. Just for the "coolness" of backpackers. I have never done drugs, and never will. I just don't see the point. Especially when I see what it does to people.

Moving on.

Tomorrow, I will be going to Halong Bay. Have booked three days and two nights, involving swinning, cayaking, cycling and just enjoying the scenery of the beautiful Halong Bay. I will give a full report when I get back.

Ragnar
"This isn't hell, this is just where the vents are"

Ingen kommentarer: