fredag 7. april 2023

I'm leaving, on a JETT bus

I have to admit, the main reason I went to Jordan, was Petra. I have been wanting to go there for most of my life. And I finally had the chance. I had booked the bus tickets, and since I had a Jordan Pass, I had two days to play. I had also booked a cheap hotel in the nearby town of Wadi Musa.

I got up early, 5 am to be excact. Too early. And I left before breakfast. I was going on the 6.30 bus from Abdala busstation. Since I had already walked the route the day before, I knew it even when halfway sleepwalking.

There were a few foreigneres there from all over the world. All with the same destination as me. I was travelling light compared to several of them. I just had my backback. I was happy I didn't have to carry any bags or suitcases. 

 


As expected, we made a toilet and stretch your legs stop midway. The place was an obvious tourist trap. With prices even a Norwegian found a bit off. I just had to smile. The bus company probbaly got some kickback from the place for dumping tourists on their laps.


 

After a 4 hour drive, we arrived at the entrance to Petra. I was finally there. The place I had dreamt of so long. I should probably continue, but I have decided to write another entry for images and experiences and thoughts about the site itself. So maybe tomorrow, I will publish that one. Need to sort thoughts and not the least, images... But here are some of the things I learned during my stay.


 

It always amazes me how much people do for a quick buck. And how much one has to be alert all the time to avoid being scammed or ripped off. And like most places I have been, Petra was much the same. Luckily, I have heard most of it before. All over the world. The first was some guys who offered horseback riding. "It is free! Included in your ticket!". Of course it is. Actually, it is free. But the kind of free where they expect a big tip at the end. Making the "free ride" quite costly. It cost nothing to get on the horse, nothing to ride it, but there is definitely a "fee" for getting off. 

There are different trails through the area, some are easy, some are hard. And I noticed that the trail up to the monestary at the other side of the area, was marked both as "hard" and "requires guide". The first one was a challenge, the second I didn't quite understand. But when I arrived the the start of the trail to the monestary, I found that the "required" thing wasn't real. And besides, if you come at a time where there are nobody else there, you have two trails you can follow anyways. A trail of fresh donkey droppings, and a trail of souvenir sellers. Both of which where of equal numbers. There were a number of donkey herders at the bottom of the trail who tried to convince the tourists that it would take an hour to walk the trail, and that it involved climbing. So we'd better take up their offer for a donkey-ride up the trail. Well, I'm a 50-something fat guy in bad shape and an affinity for Coke and snacks. Including three breath stops, two photoshoots and constant hopping between donkey droppings, it took me 30 minutes to the monestary. So if it takes you 1 hour, you are either 90 years old with arthritis, or in such bad shape you have a near-death-experience every time you get up from the couch. And, there is no climbing. Stairs all the way. I understand. They want to make money. So if you take the donkey, you do it because you want to experience it. I have to say though, the ambulance passed my twice the first day, and three times the second day. All going from the trail up the hill. Soooo. If you are closer to the near-death experience persona, take the donkey. Or, better yet. Find some photos on the internet.

After spending close to 5 hours withing the Petra area, I was ready to find my hotel. Of course, maps are flat. But from what I could see, my hotel would be up the hill. And what a hill. After walking for 5 hours, my fett were already a bit sore, but I wanted to walk the short distance. According to Googe Maps, it was a mere 1.5 km from the visitor centre. No biggie. Well. It was indeed a biggie. And with some "shortcuts" of my own making, the hill got steeper and steeper with every step. I was gasping for air when I finally arrived at the hotel. Which proved to be at the top of the town. The receptionist saw me. "Tired, sir?". "Yess!" I gasped as I pulled out my passport. He found my reservation and gave me the instructions. No pets, no smoking, doors are closed at midnight. And breakfast is served from 6 am.

Arrow where my hotel is. All the way at the top...

My Estes rocket kit came with a launch box...

And, for some reason, the eiffel tower. Sort of...

I dumped my backback on the bed and walked out into the hallway. It led to a balcony. The view was spectacular. At least I got something back for my efforts. I stood there and took some pictures of the sunset. 



 

Then I left to get some food. I had passed some restaurants on my way up, but decided against walking down again. Had enough uphill battles for today So I went to a snack bar right beside. It had newly opened. So new in fact they didn't even have a menu printed. I got myself a plate of delicious shawarma and fries. With some delicious sauces. After this, I went back to my room, crashed on the bed and fell asleep.


 

I had set the alarm on my phone to 6 am. Wanted to get an early start. The breakfast room was in the 3rd floor. It was totally not what I expected. It looked like something you'd expect in arabian nights or something. And it also had a great view down to the city centre. I loved it. 



Since the efforts of last night meant the road would be downhill to the visitor center, I decided to walk. And I was going to follow Google Maps to the letter today. Which would be interesting. I watched my circle on the map, and then I passed the "crossroad" where I was supposed to take a right. But all I could see, was a parked car. I walked up and down a few times before I found that it HAD to be here. So I walked past the car and found a barely visible footpath. Downhill. That looked more like a dump than a footpath. But down the hill it did meet up with a gravel road. So the map was right. -ish.

The "road" I walked. Not even a footpath... Arrow shows the narrowest part


 

In far shorter time and far less sweaty, I arrived for my second day at Petra. Again, I will describe this more in my next posting. But it was definitely just as interesting and mindblowing the second day.

After leaving the area some 6 hours later. I was full of impressions. My camera and phone was full of images. And my stomach was empty. I knew that all such places have terrible food at blownup prices. But since my bus was leaving not too long after, I didn't want to go far for some crud. So I opted for a local snack-shack. I ordered my usual schawarma. And you could tell from the guys eyes, he was just making up the prices as I ordered. I didn't care. And as expected, it was the el-cheapo version of a shawarma. But it filled my empty stomach. After this, I went and bought something I should have on the first day. A head scarf. One side of my neck was burnt. Despite using sunblock 30. And the head scarf would have alleviated that. But at least I have one now. A bit late. But it was nice to wear around my neck to protect the burnt skin from the sun. 

As I was waiting in a shaded area, I watched one of the stray dogs stand in the middle of the plaza and dump the biggest pile of turd I have ever seen a dog this size make. And then wandered off yawning. A guy then came and scooped it all up and washed the spot. Dunno if this was a statement from the dog about how he felt about us...
 

Waiting area in the shade. Watching a guy clean dog shit from all over the plaza

My bus arrived and I hopped onboard. 4 hours drive later, with the usual stop at the tourist trap, we arrived back at the bus station. I walked past a small shop that was just opening and went inside to grab some snacks for the evening. A guy and what appeared to be his young son was inside. The dad was placing stuff out on the street, and the kid was chewing on some pringles. I picked up some snacks and drinks and went to the counter. The kid went behind the counter, and his dad arrived. The son insisted on using the beeper gun. But it was obvious he hadn't quite gotten the hang of it. So his dad had to find and hold the bar code correctly. The kid smiled ever time the machine beeped. Then he asked his dad something, and his dad pointed at the sum on the register. The kid looked at me and pointed at the sum on the register. I smiled. 1.25. I put down a 10 on the counter. He asked his dad something. His dad pressed a button that opened the register. And there was some chatting while his dad obviously tought him some math. He gave me the change and I smiled and said "Shukran!". The boy had a proud look on his face. I left the shop smiling.

Back at the hotel, I watched a crappy action movie while starting to write this blog entry. Today. I am taking the day off. Maybe I'll take a quick trip down to the city centre to get some food. But I have no other plans than to write the entry about Petra. I have three days left. Need to find something to do the last few days.

Ingen kommentarer: