torsdag 13. desember 2018

With a country on the side

After the wonderful last night with heavenly fireworks to mark my departure, I took a taxi back to the trainstation. I had tickets to Firenze. Or Florence as English-speaking peep call it. I love the Italian superfast trains. It took me from Rome to Firenze in around 1.5 hours. I was on my way to meet my family. My sister and her hubby was celebrating their birthdays in an eco-farm outside of Firenze.
I had planned to go into Firenze and check it out for a few hours before I took the local train to a small station close to the eco-farm. Unfortunately, though, my body had other plans. I had started heating up, and felt a fever coming. And my nose had started running. And my throat was sore. I was hoping this would pass. But when I walked outside in the heat, it became clear that even a small walk was out of the question. So I stayed in the cooler train station, and waited for the local train to depart.
i love taking the train. It is lovely to just sit there and enjoy the landscape passing by. Hearing the soft "ka-tacka-tanng----ka-tacka-tanng" from the rails.
The landscape opened up as we approached my stop. Hilly, wavy landskape. With fields of grapes or olive trees. Cypress trees. Just as I imagined it would be. I got off at the small station, and my brother-in-law picked me up in his rental car. He had his two sons with him. We went shopping, and had an ice-cream each. I was hoping it would soothe my throat. It did. For a while at least. Or maybe it was just that I wanted an ice-cream...
We had a great time at the farm. Eating delicious food. Relaxing. Except for me and my mom. We were both down and out with a strong fever. So unfortunately, I wasn't able to explore as much as I wanted. But maybe some other time. I did manage to get a longer walk before my fever got to high. Among the things they had on the farm was a windmill that allegedly was designed by Leonardo da Vinci himself. I loved the walk in this tranquil landscape. Balm for the soul after bustling cities.
Here are some of the few photos I did take.

The eco-farm



There were tons of frogs on the roads during the evenings


Leonardo da Vinci windmill



Church in a small village nearby

Grapes on the vine


Birthday dinner

Ingen kommentarer: