mandag 17. desember 2018

Lean project

After a few lazy (and sick) days outside of Firenze, I hitched a ride with my sister and her family. They had rented an 8 seater, so I had the backseat to myself. Probably for the best, still being sick. We were all going to Pisa.
I thought about Pisa and the fact that the city is known for a engineering mistake. Must be a bit weird that this is what your city is known for. And it is even a tourist attraction. I had chosen a small hotel about 5 minutes from the leaning tower. I walked past the hotel entrance a few times before I actually found it. I entered, and an older guy greeted me. As soon as he understood I didn't speak any italian, he called for a younger girl who spoke some english. She was able to check me in, and took me up the stairs behind the reception. Past the kitchen, some bathrooms and such. My room was small and at the very top. The view was to the back yard. Nothing to write home about. But this was my final stop for the trip, so I didn't mind. After checking in, I left to meet my sister and her family, and some friends. We were going out to eat.
After eating a great pizza, we walked over to the tower. And yes. It was leaning. And after taking far too many pictures of the tower, I started checking out the church next to it. And I smiled when I realized that the church was also leaning. But the wall seemed like it had been fixed. That it was started to lean, and then somebody fixed it by packing in some more bricks to straighten it up.




The church beside the tower



Falling angel







To avoid the crowds, I decided to get up early. And the light when the Sun was rising was stunning. My non-pulizter-price-winning camera abilities of course failed to capture the light the way I wanted. But anyways. I loved the light and the colors.





Later in the morning, I went into the church and took some pictures. Like so many churches in Italy, this was also beautiful. With beautiful paintings and stunning artworks. 






After finishing the picture taking, I went to the airport to take the flight home. The Galileo Galileo airport. 


Ok. Soooo. This has been a good trip. Not a country that I usually would travel to. But sometimes, it is nice to just go to a western country. This is something on the other end of the scale from the country I went to in March; Afghanistan. But they both have things that I loved. Italy had all the beautiful old buildings, great food, great trains, and beautiful countryside. Maybe I will travel more to countries in Europe in the future. When my body is getting older and crispier... And my cognitive skills and attentiveness renders travelling to countries like Afghanistan a more dangerous endeavour than it already is.
Since I wrote most of this blog a long time after the trip, a lot of the small funny parts and encounters is long forgotten. So sorry about that. Hopefully, I will be better at writing as I go along on my next trips.

Hope you have enjoyed my trip descriptions.

Till next time, Merry Christmas!

Ragnar

Ingen kommentarer: