fredag 16. august 2013

Under the light of the Moon

I stood and looked at the moon yesterday. It was about the same phase as when I left for vacation. four weeks ago. I had just had my last soft-ice. And my last shawarma.

The last soft-ice

The last shawarma

On many of my previous trips, I have wanted to make the most out of the last day. But I don't do that anymore. I have learned to let go. To accept that things come to an end. And it gives me ample time to contemplate on where I have been and what I have seen.
I looked back at the four weeks. Four different countries. I have barely scratched the surface of either, but have still felt like I have seen a lot. And they have represented deeply differnent things in their own way.
Mozambique. Previously torn by civil war. Floodings. Now a reasonably functioning country. Renamo is still active. Still fighting for their ideas. I have seen the poverty. The rich. The difference. I have heard beautiful music and eaten wonderful food. And met wonderful people.
Malawi. I have previously know very little of this country. Have heard less. I only stayed for a week. But got to see the beautiful country. The wonderful beaches of Lake Malawi. Seen the smiles of "the warm heart of Africa".
Dubai. With its exuberant wealth. Standing before a tower costing more than the GNP of several African countries combined. Walking through a shopping mall packed with fashion shops void of any price tags. "If you've got to ask, you cannot afford it." The contrast with the little girl in Tete is staggering.
Iraq. War-torn. Conflicts. Dictatorship. Friendly. Honest. Hospitable. The different nuances of this country makes it an exciting place. I have been to the peaceful part. A couple of hours drive south of here, three coordinated suicide bombings occurred in three smaller towns just a few days ago. That is what the outside world hears about. I have seen the other side. The one that we never hear about. And I like to think it makes me more sceptical about how the world is described through the media. They may not lie, but they do not tell the whole story.
So here I am. Last day in Erbil. Last day before I start the long journey home. Home to my day job. Home to my apartment. Home to parliament election. Home to friends. Home to church. Home to everyday life. And to more complaints about how much we suffer in "the worlds richest country".
I do believe that I become wiser from travelling. More knowledgable. And I wish more poeple would do just that. Learn more about people. Countries. How things are in the world. Get their heads out of their butt-holes so they can see that it's not all crap. But it is my sincere hope that my humble musings here in this blog may help those open-minded, to see more of the world they cannot travel to themselves.

Regards,
Ragnar
Globetrotter

Ingen kommentarer: