onsdag 14. august 2013

At the edge of town

Sometimes, it is good to be reminded of where you are. I have walked around for days now. Meeting people. Greeted by them. I have felt comfortable. Safe. But I do know that not all is well in paradise. And I got a reminder of where I am yesterday. I started walking along a street out of town. I just kept on walking. Just to see where it led. A sign said towards Baghdad. I knew I wasn't going to walk that far. But I enjoyed seeing the area change. From the bustling bazaar area of the inner city around my hotel, to the more business areas in the outer. And I passed a few hotels along the way. And it hit me how some of them where heavily guarded. Guards with AK-47s. Thick steel gates. Metal detectors when entering the compounds. I realized that all of those were hotels with flags indicating they housed UN personell and/or American people. Luxurious hotels. And I know that if there was an terror-attack, they would attack these places. Nobody would attack Hotel El-Shait or Hotel Al-Dump. Because all the important people always stay in luxurious hotels. Not the backpacker shacks I normally stay in.
After a while, I passed a shopping centre. I felt the urge for some serious refluiding, so I decided to go there. I have to admit, the airconditioning was also a tempting feature... As I came to the entrance, a small sign was also a powerful reminder that I was not in Oslo. A sign that indicated "No guns allowed". It was obviously something they had to remind their customers of. And when I entered, I had to go through security. They checked my bag, and I had to go through a metal detector.



Two hours after I set out, I had reached the edges of Erbil. There were new buildings being erected further out, but I decided to stop at what would be a future intersection. An overpass had been built. And a road under construction extended to each side. Underneath, wonderful shade. People stood there selling fruits to travellers. I enjoyed the shade. A welcomed relief from the sun.
I walked up on the intersection. Looked around. Erbil is growing. Changing. It is a peaceful place in Iraq. But in a country like this, things can change. And the security I have seen, may be necessary for a long time. Maybe forever. But it is my hope it does not change the people.

New buildings at the edge of Erbil

Fruit seller
Street art in Erbil

More street art
Ad for a shopping center in Bergen, Norway...


Ingen kommentarer: