lørdag 1. august 2009

Cow dung

I have been trying to locate the local eateries where I could scoop up some of the vietnamese food I have heard so much about. But to no avail. So my food has been a mix of baguettes, which are french-vietnamese, and kebabs.
I came to my usual kebab-joint, and found another whiteboy seated at the small sidewalk table. I joined him and started to talk to him. Jack from Canada. Cycling through Vietnam. He laughed when I told him the level of crazyness I found his venture. 40 degrees on a bicycle seat wasn't exactly what I considered healthy. Neither to the body nor the brain.
"You know, when I am cycling, I have been pouring down 10-15 litres of water a day, and during the nights, I haven't gone to the toilet once. It has all come out as sweat. But it is ok." he said and laughed at my obviously facial expression of non-belief.
"You are crazy, you know that? Seriously!" I said. He laughed.
He talked about the incredible food here in Vietnam. I told him I so far had not found any.
"Try the streets around Cao Dong street." He said.
"Cow dung? That doesn't sound promising." I replied. I let it sink into him for a few seconds.
He broke out in a roaring laughter. "No it doesn't, does it? Well, apart from the name, it has some of the best chow in the city. You should try it."
I promised I would go there the day after to check it out. We talked through the meal, and shared experiences from the different countries we had been to. After two kebabs each, we were ready to split. We said our goodbyes, and left.
I checked out the street the day after. And it did have food stalls. But the street bore its name with pride. It DID smell like cow dung. And even I have my limits when it comes to where I'll eat. The food was probably excellent. But like they say : smell is half the taste. And with the smell of dung accompanying my meal, I think I'll pass. Maybe some other time.

Ragnar
With a licence to play with words

Ingen kommentarer: