fredag 9. august 2013

Out of Africa

Suddenly you appeared beside me. Your quiet approach made you almost invisible. In the cold morning in Tete, just after sunrise, you held up sodas. "Frescos? Quince meticais." you said in a quiet, mild voice. 7 maybe 8 years old. With a torn and worn dress as the only protection against the cold. A guy took one of your bottles. Gave you a 20-note. You shook your head. You had no change. He waved his hand. You curled the note in your small hand. Looked at him for a few seconds to make sure he wouldn't change his mind. Then slowly put it in your pocket. Stepped back from the chapa. Was it fear? Was it tiredness? Was it hopelessness? Was it the look of despair I saw in your eyes? What are your dreams, little girl? Do you even dear to dream?
It is easy to travel and not see anything but beautiful beaches, luxurious hotel-rooms, and smiling servants. And I sometimes wish I could always do that. But I know I would feel like a fake. So I travel out of the comfort zone. And I see the ones I wish weren't there. And it makes me angry. Not only at the unfairness in the world, but also at the people at home who whine about how much they have to "suffer" in the "worlds richest country". I have seen the other side.
I'm leaving Africa today. Later today, I will board a plane out of here. I will eat a meal while watching inflight movies. Looking down at the continent I've spent three weeks on. I will remember the beautiful beaches. The friendly people. The stunning landscape. The delicious food. But when I close my eyes, yours is the face I will see. I hope and pray that one day, your dreams will come true. That you no longer have to stand there in the cold, selling sodas to help your family. That one day, your dress will be clean. Your face will shine from a smile. And your future will be something you dare to plan.
It could have been me. Me standing there in the cold morning. Hoping to sell some sodas so my family could afford to eat that day. And I will remember every day to thank God it's not.

Ragnar
Only visiting this planet

Ingen kommentarer: