tirsdag 27. mars 2018

The places beyond, part 2

Dubai, March 26th 2018.

The year was 2013, I was finally going to a place I had been pondering traveling to for years. Afghanistan. Fear of violence, terror and outright war had scared me into not going before. But that year, I decided it was time. Things weren't improving, and I could not wait any longer. I bought the tickets and booked a hotel in the city of Herat, western Afghanistan. A relatively peaceful city. For Afghanistan. But the people in the Afghan embassy in Norway simply refused to even look at my visa application. So I though that was it. Afghanistan would forever be just a name on a map for me.
Last year, however, I felt a strong urge to go. Like a calling. I read a lot of accounts from others who had taken the trip there. And they recommended trying embassies in Dubai and countries around Afghanistan. I had assumed that I would get the same treatment in any embassy anywhere as in Norway. Armed with this knowledge,I bought plane tickets, and got a place to live. And booked a hotel in Dubai where I would stay for a the days neeed to get the visa. And to just to break the journey a bit. But after booking everything, I found they had an embassy in London. And managed to secure a visa from them during a stay. I changed my itinerary. Just two nights in Dubai. Mostly to break the trip.
I now had 7 days in Afghanistan booked. No plans as to the where and when. That was left to after I got the visa. But all was ready for the trip I had wanted to take for years. When at home, I had to check my passport several times just to see that I really had a visa for Afghanistan. They had glued it into my passport on the page before my American visa. Having been to "no-go"-countries, I am no longer eligible for the visa-waiver program to the US. The "perks" of traveling...
Am I a lunatic? I don't know. Some people might think so. Personally, I think I would describe myself as enthusiastic. And I have become more accepting of what is lying ahead of me. Whatever may come. And that makes me....not fearless, but rather extremely laid-back. I still try to take the safe option. I still try to keep dangers at an acceptable level. And try to keep my wits about. The latter has saved me on several occasions. Even in what people might consider "safe" countries. The most serious thing ever happening to me, is my phone charger was stolen on an overcrowed bus in rural Ghana. That's it. No injuries. No accidents. No robberies. No break-ins to my hotel room. No pick-pocketing. No scams. And this is not because I always stay in my hotel-room. It is because I keep my wits about. I always try to be aware of my surroundings. People and vehicles. Not in a paranoid fashion, but more of a "not getting distracted so I don't see what's coming"-fashion.
I have, though, never been to a place like Afghanistan. With war or war-like situations everywhere. Terrorism. And shootings so regular the NRA probably has wet dreams about it. The Taliban carried out 472 attacks in January alone. Kidnappings happens all the time. And thus it needs special attention. My landlord will provide me with the information I need to stay safe(-ish). I have no intention of playing it cool. This is a dangerous place, and I need to heed the warnings. Most places I have been have had warnings attached to them on the internet. But nothing like this. This is a place where your travel insurance is void and worthless. I had to get special insurance. From companies specializing in insuring weirdos like me. In countries like Afghanistan. I will do my best not to need the insurance. But it is a peace of mind of sorts. Knowing that if someone, God forbid, has to come and get my carcass out of here, at least they will get paid.
Yesterday, I was at the Dubai Mall. Window shopping. Eating chicked teryaki at a restaurant. Watched "Black Panther". After I excited from the theatre and walked into the food courts, by heart jumped. I was going to Afghanistan the next day! My heart raced. In both excitement and a little bit of fear. It felt like it did when I landed in Caracas, Venezuela on my first trip alone. 
My plane is leaving this morning. I am ready. Ish. And hopefully, my blog will have updates on a regular basis.
I will not detail my plans as to the when, where and what. I don't know who is reading. So for my own safety, I will continue to keep it all on the after-the-fact basis. With a delay of a couple of days. Just to be on the safe side. I don't know if I'm being paranoid or smart when doing this, but I got the advice from someone who have been in contact with security-details in Afghanistan. Safety first, exposure later. Thus the secrecy, even with my own family.



So. I guess I'll keep you guys posted.

Ragnar
With a ticket to the other side

2 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

Cool! Have a nice journey and tell us more about your experiences. -LK

Unknown sa...

Kos deg Ragnar; og kom helskinnet tilbake!

MH