fredag 19. mai 2023

City tour

After the long trip yesterday, I decided to stay in Bucharest today. Just taking in some sites and looking at things, large and small.

The first order of the day was the palace of parliament. And it was a palace. Indeed. It was built during the Ceausecko period. And it stands as a monument to his ego, I guess. The building weighs almost as muvh as the pyramid of Giza. It is 84 metres high. And just insanely huge. He called it the People's Palace. Because of course he did. It was here he stood on December 22nd 1989 and gave his last speech. While people below him chanting for him to go. He was pulled away by his staff and put on a helicopter. The chopper pilot realized that if the people wanted him to go, the army might actually shoot down the chopper. So he landed and threw them off. They tried to stop a car on the road nearby. But the driver recognized them and called the police. They were arrested and brought to Tirgoviste. And the rest is history.



In one of the streets, I found the following hotel. 


 

Since I love wordplay (much to some friends' despair...), I couldn't but think of my own version of the "Who's on first?"-routine.

Driver : "Where to?"

Me: "Hotel Sir"

Driver : "Ok, which hotel?"

Me: "Sir"

Driver : "Ooookey. Which hotel, SIR?"

Me: "Yes"

Driver : "What?"

Me: "Hotel Sir"

Driver : "I know you want to go to a hotel, but which one?"

Me: "Sir"

Driver : "WHICH ONE, SIIIIIR!"

Me: "There is only one Hotel Sir"

Driver : "Now, you are starting to p me off!"

Me: "But I just want you to drive me to Hotel Sir!"

Driver : "I would if you could just please tell me the name of the hotel!"

Me: "I keep telling you, SIR!"

Driver: "That's it! Get out of my taxi! Stupid tourist!"

😉

Reading between the lines? It seems like the pigeons have misunderstood. It is supposed to be "Please sit here". Not "please shit here..."


I found that Bucharest has its own Arch of Triumph. It comes with its own roundabout. And streets going in different directions. Right besides it, is a beautiful park with a small lake. Loved it!






I also tried some local grub today. The past few days I have been travelling so much I haven't gotten around to trying something other than a grab and go snack in a fast food shop. But today I wanted to try something typical for Romania. Sarmalute and polenta. Cabbage rolls with meat inside, and something the consistency of pudding made from cornflour. It was very tasty! Recommended!


When I was out walking, there came a really strong wind blasting. Things were flying through the air. At one place, the whole fence around a building site had crashed down. And here and there, stuff was laying around. Blown around by the strong winds. The winds stopped as quickly a they started.

Tree blown over by the wind and crashing down on power lines

Yesterday, when going to the train, I realized there was a underground crosswalk so I didn't need to cross the street to get to the station. And when I went down there, I realized something else. Bucharest has a metro! YES! I decided to try it out today on my way back from the Arch of Triumph. They had ticket-machines in the station. I bought a card with two trips. Enough for a trip today, and for the trip tomorrow to the train station. 

I love trying out public transport. Especially subways and trams. Bucharest also has trams, but I haven't tried them yet. Maybe when I return tomorrow. We'll see.



Some statues I took photos of around the city :

Mark Twain for some reason

This guy looked like he didn't like being put on a pedestal...

Hmm. Wonder what I'll have for dinner today?

I ended the day by trying out some local delights. Something sweet I found in the bakery section of a supermarket. It was super tasty! So full of sugar you could get diabetes by thinking about it. But a perfect way to end the day.


 

Ragnar

Enjoying life!

Ingen kommentarer: