onsdag 9. juli 2014

Five states, a graceland and an alligator bite

Fourth of July was celebrated, or observed if you like, in Albuquerque. Not very much going on as I could see. But then I didn't look very hard. But I knew there was going to be fireworks at a park just north of where I was staying. I knew, and had read, that roads would be packed with people, so I didn't really want to go there. But a quick check on the map led my attention to a shopping mall not far away. I could see the fireworks from there. Good idea. I arrived an hour before the fireworks started, and it was obvious that I was not the only one with that idea. But I arrived so early I got a good spot.
The fireworks started about 15 minutes after schedule. But it was great. I LOVE fireworks. The bigger and louder, the better! And if I can light it myself : Beyond great! But I knew that in Albuquerque itself, fireworks were illegal. Although some people still used it here and there. As is always the case, I guess. I tried to take some images of it.











The trip from Amarillo to Oklahoma City was the best so far. Not so much the scenery along Route 66, since much of it ran right beside I-40, but because it was so easy to find the old trails. I have a notebook with me, and every morning, I have jotted down notes on how to get on the old route. And this day, it worked like a charm. Only a few spots here and there I drew a blank, since the road had simply "disappeared". At least compared to Google Maps. But most of the trip still was on Route 66.
It is somewhat relaxing to ride lazily at 55 mph on the route while watching all the traffic on the I-40 zooming past. I maybe meeting one or two cars. I can stop almost anywhere and anytime. And not blocking anyone. Sometimes, the road took off from I-40, and into some beautiful scenery. Across old bridges, through small forests and across streams. I have taken some pictures, but they fail to depict the view. I cannot seem to capture it. Guess you'd have to be there.


Giant cross by the road

Frozen WHAT?!

On the restroom wall in a rest stop



Graveyard for old cars

Nature has started to reclaim some of the road







Some plaques in the pavement describing Route 66.
(Several photos put together)

One of the places I passed, was a small town called Weatherford. Not anything unusual there, save for the fact that one of the most experienced astronauts of the early space age was from this place. Thomas Stafford. 2 Gemini flights and 2 Apollo flights. And he had a museum set up out by the airport. "Stafford Air and Space Museum". I decided to check it out. I arrived at 4.30 PM, and the note on the door said it would close at 5.00. I pulled on the door, but it was closed. Nobody inside. I was puzzled. Had they closed early? Then I realized I had crossed into a new state, and a new timezone. The time was now 5.30. Bummer! I took some photos of  the statue of him before leaving.


After Oklahoma city, I decided to take a detour from Route 66. I was going to Memphis and Nashville. And then go to Saint-Louis.
The two cities are not so unknown, I guess. To get there, I had to go through Arkansas. I crossed the border on the I-40 East, and stopped at a "visitors info"-place. Mostly because I had to take a leak. It was a splendid place. Made like an old log cabin. With the wonderful smell of wood. And even with its own fireplace with two rocking chairs at one end. In the middle, a guy and a lady sat smiling. After my visit to the bathroom, she wanted to know if I needed anything. Maps, guides or anything else. I said I was just passing through on my way to Memphis. She looked disappointed. "Well, can I at least put you down in my register?" she asked. "Sure", I said. She jotted down "Norway, passing through" and the date. I bid her goodbye and left.
When I booked my hotel for Memphis, I didn't quite note where it was. And when I typed the hotel into the GPS, it suggested Mississippi. I zoomed out and checked the map. Seemed correct. And when checking the map, I saw that Memphis was at the lower western edge of Tennessee. So just a few km from the border of Mississippi. And my hotel was just across the border. That means that in just a few days, I have been through Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi. Five states in three days. Not bad...

A Weird place...

Elvis who?
The one thing to visit in Memphis is of course, Graceland. The home of Elvis Presley. My hotel is in Mississippi. Which is fitting, given that Elvis actually was born in that state. In Tupelo. A small town around 60 miles away. But Graceland is just across the border into Tennessee.
Today I went to Graceland. I learned that it has nothing to do with grace as in mercy, but rather it was the name of the daughter of the man who originally built the house, Grace. It was a beautiful place. To some it is probably a shrine, but to me it is a nice museum. Beautiful interior. At least for the 70's style. Took a lot of pictures, and I have included some here.


Main mansion

Livingroom

Private jet "Lisa Marie" with a tail designation "TCB"
(Taking Care of Business)

Smaller private jet

After Graceland visit, I turned onto the road again to go to Nashville. Halfway there, a truck lost the outer part of its wheel (an alligator). I steered clear of the debris in the road, and drove on. Thinking it was good I wasn't driving right behind him. A few minutes later, I was driving behind a guy with a truck in front of him. The truck suddenly started to swirl, and I thought "crap! He is loosing control. The car in front of me pushed the brakes, and I did the same. Suddenly, a big part of a tire flew out from underneath his car and straight for me. I pushed the brakes so hard my tires were screaming. But it still wasn't enough. I rammed straight into it with a bang! It rumbled underneath the car. I looked in the mirror and saw part of my rear bumper hanging loose. In addition, there was a scraping noise from the front right wheel. I stopped at a gas station, same as the guy who had driven in front of me. His front was totally smashed. We spoke a bit about what had happened before he drove off, after calling his insurance company. My bumper could be snapped in place again. The scraping sound came from the plastic cover above the wheel had been ripped off and was scraping against the wheel. I pulled it out. I walked in to the gas station, and the lady behind the counter said "I see you got bitten by an alligator!". "What?" "A truck tire". "Ah! Yes!" I borrowed the restroom to wash my hands. A call to the rental company later I was on my way again. With no more mishaps. But a maintenance lamp started flashing. So I guess I will have to call the rental company again. Hopefully, that is the extent to my mishaps on this trip.
One week to go before I head home to Norway. Surprisingly, I still am not tired of driving. Tomorrow, if nothing else happens, I will be on my way to Saint Louis for a couple of days. Then on to Chicago before the weekend. About 1500 km to go. And still loving the "life on the road".