torsdag 8. november 2012

Sometimes, the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon

Ten years ago, almost to the day, I was standing in Woomera Range in Australia. In a closed area, with unexploded ordonance removed for our safety. Waiting for God's own spectacle. A total eclipse of the Sun. I have been called a lunatic. A fitting name for someone who is chasing the shadow of Luna. And I do feel a bit crazy when totality hits. I have screamed in excitement. I have seen grown men cry. Calm people start dancing.
The first time I saw a total eclipse was in Venezuela February 26th 1998. I was excited, but totally unaware of how I would react. Standing on a beach with several million others. When the shadow hit us, the whole beach exploded. So did my mind. It was something out of this world. The sight, the light, the beautiful corona glowing around the sun. The roar and screams of the people around me. Just under four minutes later, the Sun appeared from behind the Moon and it all exploded again. I knew I was hooked. I had become a lunatic.
I have travelled to 7 eclipses so far, one of which disappeared behind the clouds. Luckily, that was the only one so far. And that is always the big fear of lunatics. I have checked the weather forecasts. It looks a bit worrying, but I am keeping my hopes up. You never know. And forecasts are less accurate the further away they "predict". And they say it is clearing and getting better on the day of the eclipse. We will see...
Some people ask why I do this, why I spend so much money and time travelling to weird places on the planet just to experience a few minutes of darkness. The only way to understand is to eperience it. Not seeing a photo. Not seeing a movie. Being there. Seeing the light. The beauty. Feeling the changes in wind and temperature. Seeing nature preparing for night in the middle of the day. Emotions going wild.
The last time I went to Australia, I stayed for five weeks, so the eclipse was just one of the things I wanted to see. This time around, the eclipse is THE main event. I am only staying for a week.
One week. And 70 hours travel time round trip. I had to think long and hard before deciding to go. But being a lunatic, it takes a lot of selfcontrol to say no. And two days in the air in exchange for 2 minutes in heaven is a small price to pay.

My name is Ragnar, and I am a lunatic...



2 kommentarer:

Gitte Rydberg Steine sa...

Sitter å leser å mimrer tilbake på noen av våre opplevelser og de som kommeri fremtiden :-)

My World sa...

Ja, det har vært noen fine turer under måneskyggen! :-D