torsdag 18. juli 2013

Going, going, gone!

Summer is here. Vacation is nearing, and I am ready to head out. Looking for new adventures. New land. This year, Africa is the main theme, although I added a small surprise on Wednesday. A country I didn't believe I would be able to go to. But that's for a later update...
But first : Mozambique and Malawi. Two countries in the southern part of Africa. I have been thinking about going to Mozambique for many years. But for different reasons, I never got around to it. I still have a Lonely Planet book for Mozambique, Zambia and Malawi I bought 12 years ago. When I was in Zambia to see a Sun eclipse. That's when I started thinking about it. Now, twelve years later, I am going. Since it is an old book, there are bound to be a lot of changes, so I have read up on the current state of things. And there are of course changes. Mostly on the numbers of tourists. Still comparable little to the "big ones" like Kenya, but still. So the biggest question is how much have changed? And what?
I know from experience that things can, and do, change dramatically in "new" tourist countries. When the influx of tourists increase, things do change. Countries that used to be benign, become "touristy" in that the people change their attitudes towards foreigners. And sadly, it is mostly due to travelers who have little or no sensitivity to the local cultures and traditions. I have seen this several times, and have probably done some thoughtless things myself. Things that might seem insignificant to us, or even things done with the best of intentions, may trigger changes that nobody had foreseen or wanted. But they do change something. People, attitudes, cultures. We often talk about not destroying the environment when we travel. Maybe we also should do the same for the people and cultures we meet?
As usual, I will travel alone. A colleague in the prison group I lead sat talking with me about my upcoming travel, while we waited for the inmates. He asked me : "Do you prefer to travel alone?" I thought for a few moments before I said "Not really. I actually prefer travelling company. But most of the times when I have asked, people have said no. Because it was either the wrong time of the year, or the 'wrong' destination. So now, I have just stopped asking."
But most of the time, I end up meeting people on the way. Some for a dinner and a chat. Some I have traveled with for a short while. Some I have stayed in touch with. Some have become friends. They constitute some of the best things that can happen on a journey.
Soon, I am off. My travelling feet are tingling. Eager to tread new soil. My eyes to endulge in new images. My mouth to taste new food. My ears to hear new languages and music. And my nose flairing for new smells.
Going, going, gone!

Ragnar
Enthusiastic globetrotter

1 kommentar:

Unknown sa...

Tommel opp! :)
God tur! Kose deg masse!